Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sometimes you feel like a NUT

Coconut! And I LOVE coconut!  Coconut water not so much but anything else coconut is top in my book.

My new love is Coconut oil.  Coconut oil can be used for so much.

Coconut oil is a solid and a liquid.  At temps below 70 degrees it varies between hard and semi soft, depending on the temps.  At temps above 70 degrees it turns to liquid.  The first time I went into my pantry in the summer time and saw that my jar of coconut oil had melted  I didn't know what to think.  I didn't realize at the time that temperature affected it.  Live and Learn.

First, outside of the kitchen coconut oil can be used in making homemade cosmetics and scrubs.  I keep telling myself that I am going to do just that but I haven't found the time.  I am out of sugar scrub though so I need to get on it quick.

Inside the kitchen there are a ton of ways to use coconut oil.  A ton of TASTY ways!
Here are a few of my favorites:

Popcorn!  I pop my own popcorn in the microwave with a microwave popcorn bowl.  I add a small amount of oil at the bottom and grind salt and pepper over the oil.  Then I add the popcorn and pop.  The flavor is great!  There is a hint of coconut and its so light and flavorful that the corn flavor just pops.  I'll never make popcorn any other way again.  It just doesn't measure up.

Corn on the Cob!  I have a few ways that I make corn on the cob.  But when I make it on the stove top I usually add either butter or olive oil to the water so save from having to add it later and to enhance the flavor.  One day I decided to add coconut oil to the water instead.  WOW!  It melts with the sweet corn flavor so well.  I think this may be my favorite way to cook corn now.

Baking!  If your recipe calls for butter or shortening use coconut oil instead.  The measurements are one for one. Its not as healthy as using apple sauce or pumpkin puree but it is oh so good.  I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies for the kids ;-) and used coconut oil instead of butter.  I also added shredded coconut to the batter.  THE. BEST. CHOCOLATE. CHIP. COOKIES. EVER!  You don't have to soften it like you do butter and it is far better for you than shortening/crisco!

Mashed Taters!  I prefer mashed sweet taters.  If you get the sweet and salty flavors just right they are awesome and pair well with a good meatloaf.  I usually add a bit of butter and milk or broth to the potatoes before I mix them.  One day I added a small amount of coconut oil instead.  YUMMO!  I also added cinnamon, raw sugar, salt and light sour cream (instead of milk/broth)  I'm sure this would be just as yummy with white potatoes.  It'll give them a slight island flavor!

Stir Fry!  Sauté or stir fry your onions, green peppers and mushrooms in coconut oil.

Rice!  I like to sauté my rice before I cook it.  I start off with hot oil in a pan, sauté  the rice until translucent and then add broth or water.   I'll then cover it and cook on low until done.  Coconut oil is so much more flavorful then olive oil.

I have yet to pan fry anything in coconut oil.  Only because I rarely pan fry.  But knowing what I know about coconut oil I'm sure it would make chicken breasts, seasoned with a bit of jerk seasoning, taste amazing.   I might just have to add that to my weeks menu now :-)

So go run out and get you a jar of coconut oil and have at it!  And don't forget to share your ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment