Saturday, October 13, 2012

Busy little bee

I haven't been around in a while, things have been beyond crazy here.  But I have been busy!  
Marc took a trip to Guadalajara for business a few weeks ago and I was totally overwhelmed with everything. 
Driving the two oldest boys to middle school before 8 and then the youngest to elementary school at 8:45 and still manage to shower, dress myself and baby, keep a somewhat clean kitchen and house AND still keep our scheduled activities and routines going was almost impossible.  And everyone still had to eat.  Three meals a day!  Can you believe the nerve?  
This momma needs some major destressing, to say the least!
I am in AWE of single mommies.  You guys rock!


But in the time before and after that week long business trip I did manage to make a few things.  


  Nutella French toast!  

Such a simple and absolutely delicious idea.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of it myself!  Another Pinterest gem.


I used bakery french bread from the grocery store.  I prepared the french toast mixture as I usually do, with eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.


I spread nutella between 2 slices of bread and dipped each "sandwich" in the mixture and cooked in a skillet on medium heat.



To garnish I sprinkled with confectioners sugar and used real maple syrup.


  Pepperoni Dough Balls   

They are quick and easy and the kids love them.  Perfect for nights that Jacob has bassoon lessons.  I had made an entire pan of dough balls, there are recipes all over the internet for these.  
I use can biscuits.  I cut them in half and roll out each half.  Then place a few pieces of pepperoni or even half a meatball on each piece of dough, top with cheese and fold the dough ends over until it forms a ball.  I place them all in a greased glass backing pan, fold side down.  Spray or baste the tops with olive oil  and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and herbs.  I bake at 350 until nice a brown.
I honestly don't pay attention to the time, I just watch the food.  Maybe 15 min?  Don't hold me to it.


Baked Sugar Biscuits

I had some biscuits left over after making dinner so I made dessert too.  
Now my parents always made biscuit donuts.  These sugar covered fried biscuits can even be found on Chinese buffets.  This is in no way a new invention.  But I wanted to bake these, not fry them.

So I filled a bowl with Sugar in the Raw and Trader Joes cinamon sugar grinder.  I rolled each grand biscuit in the sugar mixture until all sides were evenly covered.  I placed them on a greased cookie sheet.  I figured I had to use something to create the crispiness that I wanted so I softened a bit of coconut oil and poured a small amount on top of each biscuit.  It looked like drizzle frosting. The coconut oil melted down and around the biscuit to crisp all sides. I baked them at 350 until brown as well.     

 


This is what I got.  DELISH 





I found this recipe on Pinterest.  I didn't get any pictures of it. The morning was just too busy to worry about it.

It made the house smell wonderful in the morning!  Its was very simple.    All you need is:

One dozen eggs or egg beaters                                                                                                                
6 slices of bacon (sausage would work good too)                                                                                   
1/2 onion, chopped                                                                                                                                  
1 clove of garlic (the original recipe called for it but I left it out)                                                             
1 cup chopped peppers, any color.  Sweet or bell peppers work.                                                            
1 cup chopped mushrooms                                                                                                                      
1 bag frozen hash browns                                                                                                                        
2 cups shredded cheese                                                                                                                            
Dill, Salt & Pepper                                                                                                                                   

  • Cook bacon and cut into one inch pieces.  I baked my bacon while moving on to the next step.
  • Sauté onions, mushrooms and green peppers. (and garlic if used)                                               
  • In a bowl  beat 12 eggs and seasoned dill and salt and pepper.                                                   
  • Spray a crock pot with cooking spray and begin layering frozen hash browns, bacon, pepper   mixture and shredded cheese.                                                                                                      
  • I repeated these layers, using all the ingredients                                                                           
  • Pour the eggs on top and set to cook for 8 hours.                                                                        


Everyone loved this also.   Even the baby!  It made the morning so much easier.







No comments:

Post a Comment