Monday, September 3, 2012

My craftiness runneth over

In the kitchen anyways.  On this nice three day weekend.  With my husband floating down a river.  With 4 kids at home.  Yeah, lucky nothing else "runneth over".

When it's just me we tend to hide away indoors, afraid of venturing out as if the sun would melt us.  Or the 4 kids would drive me  straight to the mental ward of the nearest hospital.


So inside I stayed, with PBS on the TV, the boys on the 3rd floor (I think the third floor isn't distant enough) and the baby in her swing.  On comes a show about stocking up with fresh produce. b organic with michele beschen  They made jams and butters.  But what really got me was making homemade stock.  Vegetable stock.


That's all it took.  I had Kale that needed to be used that I got from my Wednesday The Produce Box, a weekly home delivery service of you guessed it- produce!  I also had spinach, carrots, fennel, onions, celery, tomatoes, garlic and peppers.  And I use stock ALL the time when I cook.  So why not.


I got out my trusty Omega juicer (I LOVE that thing) and juiced up all those veggies.  Added some water, tomato paste and bay leaves from my bay leaf plant and simmered on the stove for a few hours. 








DONE!  I stored half of it in a pitcher in the fridge and the other half frozen in ice cubes for use  in cooking later.   I cannot wait to make my first beef stew (come on cold weather!).  It is going to taste SOOOO awesome with homemade stock.  

When I was done with that I whipped up some mini fritattas for the kids' breakfast.  Enough to last the week.

Then because I was feeling so accomplished and was delusional in all my glory, I loaded up the kids and went to Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment